BARRY RFC 1st XV 15pts


ENTERTAINING high fliers Glyncoch, the Barry Rugby Club 1st XV showed great self belief for this hardworking league success.

With the weather gods again providing perfect playing conditions for the Reservoir Field contest, the Barry team withstood a tough examination from the visitors in the first half.

Indeed, the visitors started very robustly, using the advantage of the slope shrewdly and penning Barry near their own line for most of the first half hour or so. They also used several penalties to force Barry to defend close to their own line.

In recent games this would have sent alarm bells ringing but this time things were different. The home side protected their territory by dominating line out possession from both their own throw-in and, more importantly, that of the opposition.

The other major factor of this survival phase was the resolute tackling of the Barry eight and inside backs.

Despite these encouraging aspects in the play of the home team, it was surprising to see Glyncoch gain clear supremacy at the set scrummages. It was from one particularly punishing set piece that the visitors inched ahead with a penalty from close range.

During this opening period, it was apparent that, for a second week, the referee displayed no simpatico with the players but relied on pedantic decision making as a means of control.

With Evans, Hollister and Hadfield prominent, Barry slowly began to lift the siege and earned themselves a penalty chance duly converted by E Scott.

Given the statistics of possession and territory, the half-time tally of three points apiece flattered the home side.

Now, with the increasingly strong wind at their backs, the visitors used the touchlines effectively. They drove a scrum over from short range and added a fine conversion from the acutest of angles.

This proved a sea change in fortunes. Barry seemed to sense that the visiting forwards were falling off the pace and began to run the ball wide at every opportunity. They were rewarded when an outrageous cut out pass from Hadfield went to hand. Flying winger Hamonda was alert to the opportunity and skinned his opponent to cross the line wide out. Scott added the extras with a very good conversion from the touchline. All the Barry forwards seemed transformed by this turn of events and began scattering opponents at ruck and maul. With the Glyncoch forwards visibly wilting, the home backs gave them headaches whenever they had ball in hand moving forward.

A well-engineered move put Hamonda free again and he did not disappoint. This time, however, the conversion attempt failed.

A short-lived mini revival by the visitors towards the end was of no avail, and a combination of grizzlies and young bucks had carried the day for Barry.

Barry: Ryan (capt), Williams, Provis, T Scott, Hamonda, E Scott, Gallivan, O’Sullivan, Evans, Hollister, Jones, Oaten, Hadfield, Poole and C Scott.

Barry's next fixture is away to Tonyrefail on Saturday, April 26.