Memories from the Barry & District News of 50 and 25 years ago
7:00am Thursday 31st January 2013 in Looking Back
EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of January 31, 1963:
* Barry’s weather troubles are not yet over it seems. With engineers still working flat out to deal with the chaos brought by the month-long freeze-up and four days of thaw which followed it, yesterday (Wednesday) saw another heavy fall of snow come to hamper repair operations and perhaps start the whole cycle all over again.
* There seems no doubt about it . . . whatever the barometer says about the forthcoming weather it is "set fair" for the setting-up of a Butlin holiday camp at Barry Island – probably by 1964.
* Barry Town, who had not played a game since December 22, got back to action on Saturday when their match at Ramsgate was the only one played in the First Division of the Southern League. But their luck did not extend any further . . . Ramsgate secured their first home win since the opening game of the season.
EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of January 28, 1988:
* Peter Smith and Brian Enos presented a cheque for £365 to Malcolm Atkinson, appeals officer for Mencap in Wales, which was the proceeds of New Year’s Eve celebrations by the regulars of Barry’s Park Hotel, who held a fancy dress party.
* Council house rents in Barry and the Vale are set to rise by £1.60 a week from April 1 – four years to the day since the last change. The new changes were agreed by a special meeting of the Vale Housing Committee this week, which also decided to add 30p to the weekly rent of council garages, which have been unaltered at 70p since 1977.
* In his first ever bout, a member of the Colcot Sports Amateur Boxing Club has reached the finals of the Welsh schoolboy championships. Steven Hewitson’s surprise win over experienced J Davies (Gilfach Goch) came in the intermediate 42kg category at the southern division regional finals at Bryntirion Social Club, Bridgend, last week.