A RESTAURANT which was previously closed due to its appalling hygiene standards, has been prosecuted after once again failing an inspection.

During a routine visit to Hedley's Restaurant, Bron-Y-Mor, Barry, health inspectors witnessed a cat enter the premises' kitchen window and sit on a counter next to open foods.

A previous inspection found the restaurant to be extremely lacking in food hygiene, and selling items such as custard, apple pie and a cream banoffee pie past their sell-by dates.

The initial inspection, which led to Hedley's scoring a zero on the Food Hygiene Rating System, took place last October.

Environmental Health Officers discovered a severe lack of cleaning, inadequate temperature control, inadequate maintenance, cross contamination issues and mouldy food. As a result Hedley's was closed.

In April this year, officers found that although things had improved slightly there were still cross contamination issues, a lack of hand washing, dirty equipment and dirt in the premises

The food safety management system had not been adequately completed or implemented.

At Cardiff Magistrates' Court restaurant owner Ioan Davis pleaded guilty to several offences under food hygiene regulations.

He was ordered to pay a £1,000 fine, £750 costs and a £100 surcharge.

Vale of Glamorgan Council, Leader Neil Moore, said: "This prosecution sends out a clear signal that we will take robust action when the public are exposed to significant food hygiene risks."

He also reminded everyone to check the Food Hygiene Ratings of food premises that they visit.