Conditions imposed for Barry Island events
2:32pm Wednesday 5th March 2014 in News
A CONTROVERSIAL application to allow events to take place on part of the former Barry Island Butlins site has been granted – subject to conditions.
Members of the Vale Council licensing sub-committee last week decided an application, by the Vale Council’s leisure and tourism department for the Nell's Point Events Space, Station Approach Road, should proceed.
The concessions included events meeting an 8pm deadline – rather than the 10.30pm applied for – and noise levels at the boundary between the site and residential properties registering at no more than 65 decibels – the sound of a washing machine.
The committee, in giving the plan the all-clear, considered the licence on the grounds of the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm
The licence requested permission for regulated entertainment in the form of plays, films, live music, recorded music and the performance of dance.
Twenty-nine representations were received from residents and their elected representatives during consultation.
Residents attending the meeting told the committee they had concerns about alcohol usage, in an area that is a alcohol-free zone, noise levels, event hours, and the behaviour of some motorists who park near their homes.
But there was a mixed response to the decision – following the four-and-a-half hour hearing and deliberation.
Nell’s Point resident Reverend Howard Porter said: “I am disappointed at the decision of the Vale Council to grant this licence for public events to be held at the Temporary Events Area, as it is situated right next to the homes of many people who will be affected by the noise that this will generate.
“As residents that neighbour the events area, we hope that the amended conditions to the licence are adhered to and that sensitivity is shown to those residents living nearest to the Temporary Events site.”
Baruc councillor Steffan Wiliam said it was good to see concerns voiced by he and all the residents had been listened to and acted on.
He said: "The decision reinforces my position, namely that holding large scale, noisy events is both unworkable and impractical.
“I'm very pleased that the stringent conditions called for by myself and the environmental health officer will be imposed. This makes all the events that would have caused problems to residents impossible to hold. The kind of events that could be held there will be appropriate to the small site. Small events such as open air plays would be ideal for the arena-style shape of the areas. Far from being a relocation of the Waterfront site, this would be a small satellite events site for appropriately sized small events. All in all a victory that will benefit the residents and traders alike."
Ross Mackintosh, of Mack Events – which strives to bring events to Barry, welcomed the decision.
He said: “We are determined to use Nell’s Point in the future as it’s perfect and we looking forward to going to the events planned and also putting some on ourselves.
“The council events team are amazing, enthusiastic and a dream to work so we want to help and work with them as much as possible.
“Being an Island boy I am desperate to put something on at The Island. I can't see why people can complain when they don't know the details of the plans. Ninety-nine percent of people are positive and can't wait for big things in Barry.”