Controversial housing development takes new turn
12:01pm Thursday 16th January 2014 in News
VALE Council planning committee members will today decide the fate of a 200-dwelling Barry development as if it were still an active proposal.
Planning officers had compiled a report recommending Taylor Wimpey’s outline application to construct homes, and associated works, on land south of Port Road West, Weycock Cross, Barry, be thrown out today (January 16).
But the developer, after the report had been published, lodged an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate on Monday, January 13.
It decided, last year, to press ahead with its proposals for the residential development on Greenfield land in Barry – despite its omission from the Local Development Plan (LDP) - saying there was a proven housing need in the Vale.
A Taylor Wimpey spokesman said it had not withdrawn its planning application for the proposed residential development at Weycock Cross, Barry.
He said: “We have however appealed to the Planning Inspectorate on the grounds of non-determination, as the Vale of Glamorgan Council did not decide the outcome of the application within the required period. This appeal effectively means that the decision will be made by an independent planning inspector appointed by the Welsh Government rather than the Vale Council. We expect the matter to be resolved by the Planning Inspectorate within the next six months.”
A Vale Council spokeswoman confirmed Taylor Wimpey had lodged an appeal.
She said: “As the application is no longer before the council, the planning committee will need to determine the matter and resolve what decision it would have taken, were the application still in the hands of the council. That resolution will then form the basis of the council’s stance at the appeal.”
The public can attend the planning meeting at the Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, from 6pm.