50 Years ago EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of July 18, 1963: •A categorical assurance that tipping at the Pontypridd Road site would be terminated by September when the Biglis tip will be brought into operation was given to a deputation of residents which attended meeting of the Health Committee on Tuesday. The deputation was appointed at a hurriedly-called protest meeting of about 200 angry residents who crowded in the small parish room in Park Crescent on the previous evening.
•“I hope to see the 11-plus in Barry abolished within the next two or three years, as it has already been in other parts of the country,” said Ald Mrs Dorothy M Rees, at the Romilly County Secondary School or the Boys Annual Prize Day in the Memorial Hall, on Tuesday week.
•In his longest speech yet about the future of Barry Docks – 40 minutes – Raymond Gower MP for Barry launched a powerful attack on the recommendation of the Rochdale Committee that the port of Barry should be closed.
25 Years Ago EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of July 21, 1988: •Regarded as the most important development in the town this century, wok may start in six months to a year on multi-million pound plans to transform 220 acres at Barry’s No 1 Dock into a marina and leisure complex. The Associated British Ports scheme, given the go-ahead by the Welsh Office on Thursday following a 16-day public inquiry in September and October last year.
•A dramatic sea rescue off Barry on Sunday evening, in which local deckhand Jens Ruge saved the life of a Cardiff man, was shrugged off by the reluctant hero as ‘just part of my job.’ ‘I’ve got to be prepared to jump overboard when necessary’ he told the ‘News’, ‘ and it’s crazy that I’ve been offered all these awards.’ •Vale of Glamorgan councillors have been left in no doubt that Barry Town Council ‘want and need the town hall for the people of Barry.’ This was made clear last week when seven Barry town councillors, including the Mayo, Cllr Jacqueline Price, met with the borough council’s lands sub-committee.