AN ex-firefighter from Barry threw a glass at a man’s head in retribution to getting pushed over a table at a town pub.

Christopher Slade had been drinking most of the day on October 14 last year and ended up in the Park on Park Crescent where, while by the bar, he got into an argument with a man.

However, it wasn’t this man who Slade attacked, but the man’s friend James Constance.

CCTV footage played at Cardiff Crown Court during sentencing showed how quickly the situation escalated, with Slade disappearing over a table as he was pushed over by Mr Constance.

However, Slade’s response was far more severe. He got up, grabbed a glass and threw it at Mr Constance’s head, causing two lacerations and an indent in his forehead.

Slade was arrested that night and interviewed the next day where he made full admissions and admitted he shouldn't have acted the way he did.

The ex-firefighter, 57, is a father and a grandfather, described as a man who devoted himself to public service in his profession, and who was remorseful for his behaviour.

However, no matter how remorseful Slade is, that behaviour has caused dire effects to Mr Constance.

In a victim impact statement read in court on his behalf, Mr Constance said the incident plays on his mind. He now feels uncomfortable attending pubs. And he said he now has a large indentation on his head people stare at and ask questions about.

Slade, of Barrians Way, has two convictions for three offences and was last in front of magistrates in 2003.

On sentencing, Judge Mr Recorder Dyfed Llion Thomas was scathing of Slade’s actions.

“You carried out a particularly nasty and cowardly attack, throwing a glass at another man in a public house,” said Recorder Thomas.

“There was a push (but) your actions thereafter were unnecessary, disproportionate and unjustified.

“Be under no illusion, what you did was totally, totally wrong.”

Barry And District News: The Park pub in Barry, where the attack took placeThe Park pub in Barry, where the attack took place (Image: Google Maps)

Slade, pleaded guilty to a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm at Cardiff Magistrates in January.

At the city’s crown court on April 10, he was sentenced to eight months in prison suspended for 18 months.

Slade was also made to carry out 150 hours unpaid work.

He’ll pay costs of £420 and a surcharge of £187.