BARRY last Saturday entertained the Cardiff side that had been victorious at this stage in the SWALEC Bowl competition two years ago. More seasonable weather than of late welcomed the teams. Barry chose to play up the slope into a freshening breeze during the first session.

The home side began by using the elements wisely, but it soon became clear that they would also have to be wary of a big Llanrumney pack. Another consideration was a pedantic referee, but neither side adapted to his idiosyncrasies.

As early as the tenth minute it was obvious that any transgression would receive summary justice when the official issued each side with a yellow card.

With the Barry second row of King and Williams winning good possession at the lineout, pressure was put on the visiting defence. They conceded two penalties in quick succession allowing Ryan to give Barry a 6 point advantage.

Llanrumney proved that they could respond when they too converted two penalty kicks to draw level on the 40 minute mark. One of these infringements was entirely avoidable, being given by a Barry player deliberately kicking the ball away after it had gone into touch.

Barry fell foul of the referee again just before the interval and picked up yet another card for indiscipline at the ruck. It should be drummed into the players that the WRU have a sanction system to penalise clubs who persistently flout the laws of the game. The number of yellow cards being conceded is unacceptable and the problem must be addressed without delay.

Ryan restored Barry’s lead soon after the re-start with a further penalty and with Jones leading the assault, they set up camp on the Llanrumney line. This pressure told when Adams took advantage of some poor defending to cross the whitewash with the added points a formality.

The referee intervened once more changing a visitor’s yellow card into red when the miscreant failed to give his name to the official. Stubborn opponents were drawing Barry into a slugging match.

What they desperately needed was to exhibit their superior fitness and numerical superiority. A close range try by the captain broke the deadlock when it was added to by an Adam’s try on the stroke of normal time. Neither was converted. With injury time being played the Williams family combined well for J to send D over in the corner for a good converted try.

Barry: Ryan, Adams, Provis, Hadfield, D.Williams, Hardy, J.Williams, O’Sullivan, Evans, Bowditch, King, D.Williams, Deguara, Jones (C), Brown. Subs. Westall, O’Sullivan, Hunt.

Barry return to league action against Penygraig at home this Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.


BARRY 2nd XV were well beaten in this tough away cup-tie against Llandaff RFC. With numerous injuries to deal with once again, only three replacements were named, and the threadbare side was no match for a well-drilled first XV from Llandaff.

Adam Lee scored the only points for the visitors with a well-struck penalty.

Team: Hewitson; M. Jones, O. Poole, Parker, Betts; Thorne, Lee; Lundy, Hosking, Houldey; Haigh, Rendall; L. Jones, Case, Rolfe .

Subs used: Summerhayes, Thomas.


THE Barrians finally got their season under way with a friendly away fixture against Llanishen.

With the number of players unavailable to the club as a whole, it was a minor miracle that this fixture took place at all.

The Barrians travelled to their hosts with no substitutes, no kicking tee, players out of position but yet plenty of spirit.

Player-manager Ken Chow handed debuts to seven players, with only three of the XV actually having played this season. Any doubts as to whether the Barrians had the appetite for the game were extinguished 2 minutes after kick-off, however, as Chow himself collected a fine pass to dive in the corner for the first score.

The recalled Chris Chucas, normally a back-row forward, operated at outside-half for the day, and he mixed his game with some intelligent kicking, solid running and crunching tackles. The forwards, led by last season’s player-of-the-season Andy Moffat, were giving the make-shift fly-half the platform to showcase his talent, and he soon added another score himself, powering through under the posts.

Llanishen responded with a try of their own after creating an overlap, but Barry responded by keeping the scoreboard ticking over. The hard graft of the back-row forwards once again created scoring opportunities, and before half time Chucas had scored a brace, whilst the number 8 Jones and Avaient also got on the scoresheet. Avaient’s try, in particular, was one to remember as he sprinted the length of the pitch to ground between the posts.

With no replacements on the bench and most players lacking in match fitness, the Barrians noticeably wilted in the second half, as their hosts brought on a hoard of fresh legs.

The Barrians continued to battle but saw their advantage disappear in the second half, despite some spirited defensive work. Avaient, Davies, Moffat and Jones deserved particular credit.

Chucas completed his hat-trick in amongst the home side’s press for a victory. His performance on the day was all the more remarkable as he converted 3 out of the 6 tries by drop-kicking.

Ultimately, however, it was not enough, despite Avaient having a last ditch attempt to scramble to the line, but his efforts were denied by the referee’s whistle.

The management would like to thank all the players who turned up on the day to kick start the Barrians’ season.

Team: Boffy; Chow (C), Avaient, Davies, King; Tovey, Chucas; Rendall, Dyer, Foulkes; Moffat, Hall; Harding, Williams, Jones.

Man-of-the-match: Chucas and Moffat.