IT IS MANY years since these two sides last met, so the visitors were something of an unknown quantity.

The weather last Saturday was dull, dry and windless - perfect for running rugby.

The home side elected to play against the slope in the first period.

From the outset it was apparent that Barry were determined to play with intent and accuracy and after 10 minutes this had its reward.

Adams rounded off a fast and skilful movement by the backs with the long range conversion rebounding from a post.

The visitors had a particularly evasive inside centre in one of the Boobier family, whose attacking prowess was causing problems.

After 15 minutes he escaped the clutches of the Barry defenders to dive over near the post, making the conversion a formality.

The home side retained their composure after this set-back. With the line-out and ruck working smoothly, the forwards set up an attacking position for Hardy to orchestrate a good try by Lee, who added the extras from the touchline.

The forwards were now controlling proceedings, giving the half-backs and threequarters something of an armchair ride. Busuttil and Jones in the centre were taking full advantage.

A fracas near the top touchline gave the referee no option but to show yellow cards to a player from each side.

Nearing the end of the half, Gee crossed for a deserved try, which was converted by Lee for a half time score of 19-7 in favour of the home team.

It was clear from the resumption that Barry had decided not to let the visiting danger man have the space he enjoyed in the first half. Hadfield and Brown were particularly effective in cutting down his options.

“Old Man Tanner” was introduced at this stage and was soon making his presence felt.

Lee’s second and Barry’s fourth gave them the welcome bonus point. The added extras put the home XV comfortably in the box seat.

An otherwise very good referee saw an infringement on the floor, which he deemed serious enough to issue another yellow card to Barry.

They did not let this setback upset their rhythm though, and with Hardy the fulcrum behind a dominant pack, they smoothly worked Ryan over in the corner with Lee’s kick sailing over from wide out.

Midway through this half, Lee must have thought Christmas had come early as he sniped over for his third touchdown of the afternoon. He duly added the extra points.

Bridgend Sports fought back manfully and got their reward with a converted try.

However, they were hit by a late barrage from the home team. Fine forward play, against rapidly tiring opponents produced two more late tries by Williams and Manford, both of which were converted by scrum-half Lee.

This fine performance was a result of every player, starters and replacements, giving total commitment to the cause of the team.

Barry: Hunt, Gee, Hollister, O’Sullivan, Degaura, Hadfield, Brown, H.Jones, Lee, Hardy, Williams, Busuttil, J.Jones, Adams, Ryan, Parker, Evans Tanner, Manford.

* This Saturday Barry travel to Abercwmboi with the coach leaving the club at 12.30pm.