AT A WET and windy Reservoir Field last Saturday, Barry First XV entertained Llandaff North in a League fixture.

Barry were once again forced into changes but welcomed back Owain Brown and Rhys Hardy for their first games of the season.

Playing up the slope and into the wind and rain Barry made clear their intentions by keeping the ball in hand as much as possible and playing a tight game - just what was required in the conditions.

However when the opportunity came to open play up they took it and a good threequarter move nearly brought a chance for Provis who unluckily had the ball knocked from his grasp.

Llandaff were themselves making use of the elements and from a long downfield clearance when Barry were penalised the visitors took the lead.

Barry were still taking the game to the visitors and had the chance to equalise following an infringement by Llandaff, the kick just passing the outside of the posts.

The livewire Barry back row were beginning to disrupt Llandaff possession which caused the visitors to kick more than they would have liked. However from a long clearance Barry lost the lineout and found themselves under intense pressure close to the line. A huge effort of the forwards prevented Llandaff from crossing the line.

Barry regained territory and following quick breaks by Lee and Hardy began to attack at every opportunity.These forays coupled with good defence gave Barry a slight dominance as half time approached.

The greasy ball was causing problems for defenders and as the ball went loose from a Llandaff player, Lee and Hadfield hacked through for the latter to win the chase for the touchdown, the try being converted by Cummings to give Barry a well deserved 7-3 half time lead.

Now playing with the elements Barry were immediately on the attack from the kick off and following a good forward drive it was O'Sullivan who appeared with the ball for a fine try converted by Cummings.

Using the elements sensibly Barry were able to defend successfully as Llandaff fought to get back in the game and clever kicking by Hardy could well have given Barry further scores had the bounce been kinder.

Barry made a couple of substitutions with Adams and Bowdich coming on as the game entered its later stages and despite huge efforts by the visitors to get back in the game they were in control.

Evans replaced Gee at hooker as Barry made further forays downfield but at this stage the greasy ball was causing problems for both teams and the game petered out with Barry well deserved 14-6 winners.

On a day when conditions were totally unsuited to open rugby Barry must be complimented for a fine team performance, one in which at last they got it tactically right on the day and reaped the rewards.

A final vote of thanks to the brave supporters who watched the game throughout in the wind and rain. Still it might have been worse, they could have been golfing!