GOYTRE UNITED 2 Barry Town 0

GOYTRE United are the team everyone aspires to be. They combine skilful players with investment in their facilities.

The first half last Saturday was a fairly even affair with neither team creating clear opportunities. Both defences were coping quite comfortably and it took the best move of the half, right at the death, for Goytre to open the scoring.

A ball out to the right saw their no 3 in acres of space and his cross was met by a forward who easily scored from 6 yards out.

The second half was much the same – a lot of good approach play from The Dragons but no real penetration up front.

Goytre went 2-0 up when a quick counter attack left the defence square and a through ball left the scorer to round the Dragons keeper and hit the target.

Despite a lot of possession the team was unable to get a serious shot on target and Goytre ran out comfortable winners.

Dragons: Dan Bradley; Geraint Frowen, Tom Ramasut; Lewis Cosslett, Dan Clare (Capt), Atif Bashir, James Saddler (sub Josh Bell), Scott Jones, Mike Hartley; Anthony Nagi, Ryan Jenkins. Sub (not used). Lee Baldock, Rhys Lewis, Michael Parkins.

* The Dragons entertain Bridgend Town tomorrow (Friday), kick off at 7.45pm.


PRIOR to last Wednesday's game, players, management and supporters of Cwmbran Celtic would have been checking the placement of Dragons’ keeper Dan Bradley’s water bottle after last season’s ‘Bottle-gate Affair’.

With Damon Searle suspended for 3 games after his dismissal against Caerau (Ely), Manager Gavin Chesterfield made one change to the line-up with Scott Jones, unavailable for the previous game, coming into the side.

The Dragons started well and created several chances but Celtic keeper Nicki Church did brilliantly to save 3 certain goals and keep his team in the game.

Celtic only created one chance of note in the first half but the ball was blazed over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

Celtic played a harassing game, not allowing The Dragons to settle on the ball. Unusually for Town they gave possession away too easily instead of passing the ball around. The half finished scoreless.

The second period started with the same tempo as both teams played good football with a lot of pace. The deadlock was broken early in the half when former Barry Town player Scott Lanyon was allowed to turn and shoot. The ball flew into the top corner of the net, giving the Dragons keeper no chance.

Barry immediately went forward looking for an equaliser, and it nearly came when a cross was headed goalwards by Lewis Cosslett but crashed against the crossbar and was cleared.

The Dragons brought on Geraint Frowen and Lee Baldock to replace Josh Bell and the injured Tom Ramasut.

The last 20 minutes belonged to The Dragons as they pushed forward but resolute defending by Celtic kept them at bay.

Overall The Dragons deserved a point out of the game but they just could not find that elusive equaliser.

Dragons: Dan Bradley; Atif Bashir, Tom Ramasut (sub. Geraint Frowen); Lewis Cosslett, Dan Clare (Capt), Josh Bell (sub. Lee Baldock), James Saddler, Scott Jones, Mike Hartley; Anthony Nagi, Ryan Jenkins. Sub (not used). Gavin Chesterfield.