PONTYPRIDD took a surprise lead against Barry in the league after a long range shot went under Town keeper Mike Lewis.

Read the match report below in a game Barry dominated.

Report by Ian Johnson

Barry deserved a win away at Pontypridd in the Cymru Premier, but once again had to settle for a point -a fifth consecutive league draw.

The home side, who had been comfortable winners at Jenner Park in early February, started well.

Shooting from distance, Ponty midfielder Keiron Lewis saw Barry goalkeeper, Mike Lewis, punch his effort over the bar.

However, the resulting fifth minute corner saw Owain Jones’s low shot from the edge of the box go through the defence, and under Lewis, to give Ponty the lead.

From then on, Barry were the better team.

After twenty minutes, Callum Sainty knocked the ball down to Keenan Patten, whose thunderbolt shot was blocked by Ben Margetson.

Barry equalised just before the half-hour. Lee Lucas chipped his cross from the right-hand side and Will Richards got in front of the ‘keeper to head in, scoring his first goal for the club.

The visitors could have taken the lead at the end of the first half, but Ollie Hulbert’s free header was comfortably held by George Ratcliffe in the Ponty goal.

Ratcliffe was by far the busier ‘keeper in the second half.

He dived to his left to save from Keenan Patten, while a low cross from Evan Press went straight across the face of the goal.

Racing on to a long ball by Michael George, Hulbert was able to take the ball past Ratcliffe, but Barry were unable to make the possession count, with Ponty defenders racing back to cover.

George and Hulbert again combined minutes later, with Hulbert’s volley going over the bar, while a downward header from Sainty just missed the target.

In the final minutes, Ratcliffe pushed a Will Richards header over the bar, leaving the scoreline equal, despite Barry’s dominance.

With no game for Barry this weekend, the next home match is an early, 12:30pm kick-off against Penybont on Good Friday.