WALES women’s football captain Sophie Ingle, from Barry, made her 100th international appearance but her remarkable milestone ended in a disappointing defeat.

Her side are now in a shootout with Northern Ireland for the runners-up spot in Group C of their qualifying group for Euro 2022 after being edged out by runaway leaders Norway.

An impressive, disciplined display by Wales wasn't quite enough in Oslo as Chelsea's Guro Reiten scored the only goal of a tight game in which the visitors felt they had a valid claim for a late penalty.

Wales host the Faroe Island and Norway in October and aim to build on their solid Scandinavian adventure to claim precious points on home soil.

Wales great Ingle hopes that her 101st will be victory thanks to more of a cutting edge.

"We knew it would be a tough test against Norway, they are a great side and ranked above us, but we put in a great shift," she said.

"We had to defend really well and I thought we had chances to nick a goal, but unfortunately it didn't go our way.

"At this top level you have to take the chances you get and unfortunately we didn't do that. We created quite a lot of chances, we just weren't clinical enough.

"We have a few weeks now, hopefully everyone keeps fit for their clubs and we have the massive challenge of Norway coming to our place."

The visitors started the match on the front foot with Jess Fishlock looking comfortable in her first match in a Welsh shirt for 18 months after recovering from an ACL injury.

She looked to exploit Fiskerstrand from the outset, testing the Norwegian goalkeeper with a powerful long-range shot which lead to Wales’ first corner.

However, Norway soon settled into the match and started piling on the pressure.

After 28 minutes the home team had a breakthrough from their third successive short corner, with Reiten curling it into the top left-hand corner, beyond the hand of O’Sullivan.

At this point however Wales were very much still in the game, with Green testing Fiskerstrand from long range as she was off her line, but the shot went wide.

Despite the setback, the travelling side ended the first half having enjoyed the majority of possession against the group favourites.

At the start of the second half, Wales started brightly, just as they did the first, with Natasha Harding breaking along the right flank with a shot that beat the keeper but floated just over the bar.

Both Reiten and Graham Hansen proved a handful to the Welsh defence but O’Sullivan produced a great block to deny Hansen from close range 10 minutes into the second half.

Hansen’s great strike from outside the box found the back of the net a few minutes later before being ruled out for off-side.

Roberts created another chance for Kayleigh Green with 20 minutes to go, with a great cross into the box but Fiskerstrand stood firm in the Norwegian net.

Helen Ward replaced Anna Filbey with 10 minutes to go and the record goalscorer provided an extra attacking boost in the closing stages of the match.

Rhiannon Roberts linked up well with Ward along the right-hand side and pressed on for the equaliser.

Despite two corners for Wales in the final minutes, the Norwegian defence stayed strong, blocking shots by Rowe and Ingle to keep their clean sheet.

Wales: O'Sullivan, Filbey, Ingle (c), Roberts, J.Green, Fishlock, James, K.Green, Harding, Rowe, Ladd. Subs: Ward, Skinner, Evans, Hughes, Estcourt, Francis-Jones, Lawrence, Woodham, Jones.

Norway: Fiskerstrand, Wold, Thorisdottir, Mjelde (C), Bøe Risa, Graham Hansen, Utland, Syrstad Engen, Eikeland, Reiten, Minde. Subs: Pettersen, Norstrøm, Hansen, Woldvik, Thorsnes, Ildhusøy, Åsland, Maanum, Jensen, Haavi, Sævik, Blakstad