BARRY finally overcame resilient visitors Heol Y Cyw in a tense match at the Reservoir Field last Saturday.

The result was in doubt up to the final minutes with Barry having to dig deep to get a 33-27 win.

Playing with the elements in their favour in the first half Barry gradually built up a lead with a John Miles try and a conversion plus three penalties from Einan Scott and looked comfortable with the scoreline at 16 - 0.

With the Cyw playing an expansive game and keeping the ball moving Barry had to be on their guard against attacks from deep and slowly the visitors started to apply pressure on the home defence.

They were rewarded as Barry conceded two quick penalties from whfere they ran out of defenders as the visitors crossed for a converted try.

Barry came back from the restart but the visitors defence was solid denying them any chance to add to their score as the final minutes of the half were even and the score remained at 16 - 7 as the whistle went to end proceedings.

With the elements now against them Barry began the second period on the attack but a promising move broke down in the visitors 22 from where they counter attacked making their way into the home 22.

Barry won the lineout but the clearance rebounded into the arms of a Cyw player for a simple try and conversion bringing the score to 16 - 14.

Buoyed by their good fortune Cyw brought on some forward replacements who immediately made an impression as the Barry scrum was put in reverse causing them to concede a penalty.

Barry were penalised again as Cyw drove the lineout from which a quickly taken penalty caught the Barry defence off guard saw them cross for an unconverted try but importantly the lead at 16 - 19.

With the game now finely balanced Barry seemed to gather themselves and forced Cyw to concede a penalty.

Rather than go for goal they opted for the corner.

Winning the ball they drove at the visitors with the backs joining in as well with Alyn Evans finding his way in for the try which was unconverted.

Stung into action Cyw went straight back into the attack and some strong midfield running and poor defence allowed them to cross for an unconverted try.

The scoreboard now read 21 - 24 in the visitors’ favour.

The all action style of Cyw was unsettling Barry and minutes later they conceded a penalty as the visitors opened up a six-point gap.

Now entering the final minutes Barry went into overdrive and from the restart worked their way into the visitors 22 where this time they won a penalty.

Taking a leaf from Cyw, James Hadfield took it quickly to crash over for a try which when Einan Scott converted saw Barry in the lead at 28 - 27.

The restart saw Barry get a penalty taking play deep into the visitors 22 where from the lineout which followed, they drove hard to the line where Tom Perry got the touchdown for the unconverted try.

This proved to be the last move of the game as the referee blew the final whistle to end the match leaving Barry with the spoils and a hard-earned victory for a much-needed bonus point win.

With seven games to play Barry are still in the promotion mix.

Unfortunately, six of those games are away from home making the task that much more difficult.

Barry have games in hand over all the sides above them due to earlier season postponements.

They play the first two of these this Friday when they travel to Aberdare for a 7pm kick off followed by a visit to Llanharan on Friday 15th March again with a 7pm kick off.

The Lottery rolls over again this week to £3,850 as last week’s numbers of 06 - 09 - 16 and 17 failed to produce a winner.

Four tickets matched 3 numbers for a £10 prize