ANOTHER weekend of Vale of Glamorgan Association Football League finals commenced this past weekend.

Before the finals, the league gained their first League Champions of the 2017/18 season when Barry Town United FC side picked up the League Year 10 Shield thanks to a 4-0 with Cowbridge Town Reds on 28th April.

On Friday night Division 1 took centre stage as Tynewydd FC played Sully Sports FC for the Supporters Cup; the Division 1 League Cup.

A tight game with each team playing the high line for the Off-Side trap to take effect.

The deadlock was broken at the 73rd minute mark when a ball off a few rebounds found its way to Luke Hanson to hit home.

Tynewydd FC were pressing for the equaliser for the rest of the game which resulted in Sully’s second.

A ball fell to the Tynewydd FC keeper who’s miss-kick of the ball ended striking Hywel Ankontopoulos, who was then left to slot the ball home making it 2-0.

Final score Tynewydd FC 0-2 Sully Sports FC.

In between the finals, Saturday saw Barry Athletic FC add the Year 11 League title to their Junior Cup win 13 days previous with a 1-1 draw with Sully Sports Reds.

The draw was enough to see Sully Sports Reds also become runners-up in the league.

In the afternoon, Sully Sports FC, without kicking the ball, put the Division 1 League Shield in their trophy cabinet after Barry Saints FC were beaten 3-0 by Cogan Coronation FC thus making them League/Cup double winners in two days.

On to Sunday morning for the fifth final of the season for the Year 9 League Cup, The Harry Gratton Cup, between Park Lions FC and Porthkerry Panthers FC.

There were only two goals in the game which both, rather cruelly, came a minute before half-time and a minute before full-time.

Leo Shakespeare struck in the 34’ and Mason Lewis on the 69th minute for two goals to Porthkerry Panthers FC.

Full time result. Park Lions FC 0-2 Porthkerry Panthers FC.

A glorious blue sky greeted St Athan FC and Llantwit Major FC as they battled for the main league cup, the Barry Cup.

St Athan FC took the lead on 20-minute mark with a goal direct from a corner from Reece Lewis.

This was enough for 1-0 lead going into half-time. The second half saw St Athan FC stretch their lead to 2-0 thanks to Joe Laing but a penalty to Llantwit Major FC – scored by Josh Morgan – on the 83rd minute saw them gain a goal back.

However, St Athan were in the party mood and weren’t going to let Llantwit Major spoil their celebrations. Just three minutes after conceding a goal St Athan responded with another Joe Laing strike to make the score 3-1.

Final Score; St Athan FC 3-1 Llantwit Major FC.

Sunday sees the final three cup matches take place at Jenner Park. The Year 7 Final starts proceedings for the Brian Riseborough Memorial Trophy between Sully Sports FC and Penarth Town Raiders. Kick-off 10.15am.

Year 8 take centre stage afterwards for the Billy Butlin Trophy between Cowbridge Town Reds and Island Marine FC. Kick-off 12.15pm.

Finally to round of the cup finals the Division 2 League Cup follows.

The Dockers' Cup will be contested between AFC Rhoose and Llantwit Major FC. Kick-off 3pm.

Should the weather be the same as last weekend, hats, sunglasses and sun cream are highly recommended.