BARRY RFC's latest league game saw them succumb to a 22-10 defeat away to newly promoted Cambrian Welfare on Saturday afternoon.

It was a game in which Barry showed their strong defensive qualities to restrict the home side to a solitary try, but also highlighted game management skills that were lacking in periods.

From the kick-off it was Welfare who took the initiative, quickly moving the ball wide with their back three warning Barry of the pace they possessed.

An early ball spread by Barry created space on the outside, but with the final pass not going to hand the chance was wasted, the loose ball nearly giving Welfare the opening try.

They were to open the score minutes later when the pace of the backs saw them carve an opening try, which was converted for an early seven point lead.

As the half progressed Welfare continued to apply most of the pressure, and it was only aggressive defending that kept the Barry line intact as they struggled for any meaningful possession. The decision to keep the ball in play rather than clear to touch was not helping the cause.

With the packs evenly matched the game was being dictated by Welfare's number 10, as when the running option was not on, his kicking was driving Barry back into their own territory.

As half time approached Barry had not reached the Welfare 22, with a series of unforced errors spoiling any chance they had to level the game.

Somehow Barry managed to see the half out limiting Welfare to that single score, with concerns that it could be a long second 40 minutes for Barry.

Immediately from the kick off, Welfare spread the ball as expected but the move broke down in midfield. Perry scooped up the loose ball to feed O'Sullivan who raced 30m to score the try. Barross added the conversion and within the first minute of the half Barry were level.

Things got even better moments later as Welfare were caught offside and again Barross kicked the goal to give them a 10 - 7 lead that stunned the home crowd.

As expected, Welfare reacted and again with sensible tactical kicking kept Barry on the back foot. Barry were caught offside and a Welfare penalty saw the game levelled.

The game was reverting to the pattern of the first half but despite their efforts Welfare could not break through the resolute Barry defence, and began making their own errors in their eagerness. Their aggression was also a concern as O'Sullivan was forced to leave the field following a cynical elbow and punch which went unseen by the referee.

Barry were immediately penalised and Welfare took the lead again. Two huge try saving tackles kept the line intact after another penalty had taken Welfare to a 16-10 lead, but Barry were by now coming under intense pressure.

Welfare went further ahead after a drop goal attempt clipped a Barry hand on its way over, extending the lead to 19-10.

Barry began to enjoy some much needed possession, but the Welfare defence continued to foil Barry's efforts to get back into the game.

Again a long Welfare clearance sent Barry back near their own line, with the hosts stealing the lineout and earning a penalty which gave them a 12 point lead.

Barry still had time for one last attack before the final whistle, only for them to concede a penalty when well placed.

Next Saturday, prior to the Wales v Australia game, Barry entertain new league leaders Cilfyndd. Kick-off is scheduled for 2.30pm, however this could be altered due to the international. Please contact the club for details. The Wales game is being shown live on the big screen in the club.

The lottery rolls over again this week after last week's numbers of 14, 16, 17 and 22 were not matched. This week's jackpot will be £7,200.