BARRY RFC earned a well deserved 27-23 victory over Cardiff Quins last Saturday, snatching the win in the final move of the game.

Barry added 21 points in a second-half performance to turn the game on its head, showing the skill, talent and character that the squad possess in abundance.

The Quins, known for their preference for open rugby, began in just that vein and the early minutes saw them probing the Barry defence without really worrying it.Their only reward coming from a penalty as Barry were caught offside.

Weathering that early storm Barry set about setting up their own attacks, but after creating an opening wasted the chance with a poor final pass. It did however work in their favour as the Quins scrum was driven back, forcing them to concede a penalty that allowed Barross to bring the scores level at 3-3.

Barry didn't clear the restart which let Quins attack, ending with a penalty which put them back in front. Minutes later,the same thing happened at the other end – this time in Barry's favour – and again Barross did the necessary to equalise the score.

As the half wore on, attacking threats were being met by solid defending and the game moved end to end with no breakthrough.

This changed dramatically as half time moved closer. Quins set up an attack which the Barry defence seemed to have covered, but the ball was played out from the ruck to a Quins winger who raced in from 30m to cross for a converted try.

Virtually straight from the restart Barry were penalised again and with the kick successful, Barry had conceded 10 points and now trailed 16-6.

Each side had one further penalty chance before half time, but with both missed the score remained unchanged as the whistle went.

Certainly Barry's first half performance didn't justify them being behind, but with Quins always looking a threat a difficult second-half lay ahead .

Barry got off to the best possible start after an early penalty took them into Quins territory. The pressure was maintained as the forwards gained control at the scrum, recycling the ball well and finding Provis out wide to cross and put Barry back in contention. Barross added the extras with a fine conversion.

Straight back on the attack from the restart, Barry took a penalty to touch to camp close to the Quins line.

They chance looked gone as they failed to win two lineouts, but after regaining the ball the backs opened up the Quins defence with Barross getting the touchdown. He again kicked the conversion to put Barry into a 20-16 lead.

Barry continued to attack when possible but primarily focused on restricting their opponents, who earned a fortunate penalty after the Barry scrum was penalised.

They didn't waste it either, breaking through the defence to cross for a converted try that took them back in front by three points.

A spate of penalties followed breaking up Barry's rhythm and forcing them on the defence, playing their rugby at the wrong end of the field with only minutes left.

Finally managing to clear their lines Barry set off with one final chance to save the game.

One last drive deep into extra-time drew in the Quins defence and Barry quickly spread the ball wide, allowing Ryan a free run in for a superb try which Barross converted, with the final whistle going to crown Barry worthy winners.

Next week Barry entertain Clwb Rygbi Caerdydd in 2.30pm kick-off, while the second XV travel to play Llanishen.

The lottery again rolls over this week to £6,850 as last weeks numbers of 01, 05, 09 and 17 were not matched.