BARRY travelled to Pontcanna Fields on Saturday to play the side placed one position above them in the league. There was, therefore, more than pride to play for on this occasion.

Barry and their hardy supporters had to face a body-numbing easterly wind for the first half.

The home team started brightly, with their outside half showing as prominently as in the home fixture earlier in the season. But the Barry flankers had done their homework and they succeeded in closing down the CRC halfbacks before they could influence proceedings.

Within 15 minutes both teams had missed reasonably easy penalty attempts, which they would have expected to convert in more clement weather. Barry’s tactics of playing a handling game got just reward soon after with a well crafted try from fully 70 metres being rounded off by strong running from Provis.

Unusually, fully 20 minutes had elapsed before the first scrum was called. However, from this a penalty was awarded to the home team. The kick was made even simpler; Barry conceded a further 10 metres for disputing the decision of the referee.

But they retaliated immediately by setting up an attacking position. From this, CRC were forced to concede a penalty, which was slotted over by Lee. The combination of young and not so young of Dagaura and Tanner began to gain some superiority in the loose play when the visitors set up a useful position in the opposition 22 metres zone.

Buckland set up Lee who chipped ahead cleverly from close to the touchline. A kind bounce was pounced upon by the scrum-half to extend the Barry lead.

On the point of half time it could have been better when R O’Sullivan skinned his opposite number but was just bundled into touch by a covering tackler.

CRC did not start the second in promising fashion, with one of their forwards receiving a yellow card for transgressing at a ruck. During this period, O’Sullivan deservedly scored a good try wide out to give Barry a lead they were not to relinquish.

The Cardiff team did, however, come back into the game with some furious forward drives. During this period, Barry, for their part, were experiencing problems in setting up play in the opposition half. Despite this anxiety, the storm had seemed to pass, with the front row of Evans, Hollister and O’Sullivan showing up well at close quarters.

Clwb Rugby were not to be denied, scoring a good try by their forwards who pushed over from close range.

Whilst Barry deserved this 18-13 victory, it was a close-run thing in the final 10 minutes or so. The referee handled the match efficiently although his repertoire did not appear to include playing the advantage law.

Barry: Ryan, Dix, R.O’Sullivan, Provis, Buckland Hardy, Lee, Hollister, Evans, R.O’Sullivan, Dagaura, Tanner, Parker, Hadfield and Jones (capt). Replacements. Giddins, Scott, Lundy and Thorney.

* Barry entertain Llandaff at the Reservoir Field on Saturday (January 19). Kick-off 2.30pm.