ANTI-RACISM campaigners in the Vale of Glamorgan are calling for “justice for Mahamud Mohamed Hassan” following his death.

The Cardiff man died hours after being released from police custody on Saturday morning, and it was stated in the Senedd on Tuesday that witnesses had reportedly been “shocked by his condition” following his release.

On Monday South Wales Police said they are investigating the “sudden and unexplained” death of the 24-year-old after he was taken into custody following a disturbance on Newport Road on Friday.

Nationwide calls for “justice” have followed, with protests being held at Cardiff Bay police station. on Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Stand Up To Racism Vale – a campaign group committed to stamping out racismacross society in the region and across the UK - say protests are being led by Barry civil rights lawyer and co-chairman of the group Hilary Brown.

Miss Brown, director of Virgo Consultancy, said a complaint had been made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), while the family would be seeking an independent pathologist report and called for an independent police force to investigate the issue.

Miss Brown said: “The family of Mahamud Hassan have many questions that need to be answered relating to circumstances that led to the death of this young, healthy 24-year-old man.

“The pursuit of the truth as to what happened to Mahamud during his arrest and detention at Cardiff Bay Police Station and the sequence of events up to his arrival back at his home address are the main focus of our enquiries at this time.”

The lawyer added that family of Mahamud were eternally grateful for the support and messages of condolences they have received.

Mr Hassan’s aunt Zainab Hassan - who reportedly saw him within one hour of his release - said her nephew was “loving” and due to become a father.

“He was released on Saturday morning with lots of wounds and lots of bruises,” she said.

“He didn’t have these wounds when he was arrested and when he came out of Cardiff Bay police station, he had them.

“Nothing we do is going to bring him back but We will not rest until we have justice.”

South Wales Police said it had so far found no evidence of excessive force or misconduct but has referred itself to the complaints watchdog. It said the referral to the IOPC was standard practice following a death after police contact.

First Minister Mark Drakeford described Mr Hassan’s death as “deeply concerning”.