A MUM who spent twenty-two days in an intensive care unit after being diagnosed with coronavirus has received a gift from rock singer and songwriter, Rod Stewart.

The award-winning singer, whose chart-topping hits include Baby Jane, Maggie May and Sailing, surprised Natasha Jenkins, of Barry, with a signed photograph and a cheque for £5000.

As previously reported in the Barry & District News, the nursing student and mum-of-three, had become ill two days before Mother’s Day, on March 22.

She attended the University Hospital of Wales, in Cardiff, believing her continuous severe headache was the result of inhaling paint fumes through decorating her bedroom.

The 35-year-old was taken off a ventilator on Tuesday, April 21, and returned home on Saturday, April 25 - where she was reunited with her children.

She has since been recovering, but on May 7 a surprise piece of post arrived - from award-winning singer Rod Stewart.

He was knighted in the Queen's 2016 Birthday Honours for services to music and charity.

He was inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994, with a second induction, as a member of Faces, in 2012.

Ms Jenkins said: “I believe that Rod Stewart must have seen one of my TV interviews and his PR team contacted them for my number.

“They rang me and said that he wanted to send me something in the post - so I was just expecting a card and two days later I received the cheque.”

The cheque, for £5000, included a signed photograph with a message from him that read, “Hi Natasha. A small gift to help you through rough times.”

“Naturally, I was gobsmacked and just thought it was an incredible gesture,” she said. “The cheque from Rod will help me tremendously.

“It is going to take some financial pressures off me, but hopefully I can do something with the kids next year with it as well.

“I would love to be able to say thank you in person however under the circumstances that isn't possible so I have sent him a card and some rainbow - in support of the NHS colours - flowers in the post.”

Ms Jenkins said she had not been able to do much since returning home.

“I still have not left the house and don’t plan on doing so currently,” she said.

“On the days we had a nice weather, I have been sitting in the garden and using the hot tub which has helped with my leg exercises and I think I have exhausted Netflix.

“Recovery was quite difficult - the first two weeks I was extremely weak, but I am finding it easier now and I am able to mobilise much better.

“I have been left with problems with the coordination in my hands as they are extremely shaky which is a side-effect of the virus.

“My voice is starting to get back to normal now that my tracheotomy wound has closed.

“The children have been really well behaved considering what they have been through and that they have been stuck at home.

“The girls have dealt with the situation really well whereas my little boy has become really clingy and has slept with me every night.

“He constantly tells me he loves me - so I think he’s been more affected by it all.

“I have had so much support from family and friends.

“My mum and dad are here every day to help with the children and cooking cleaning.

“I have had so many gifts from people, even people I do not know and hundreds of messages of support.

“People have been incredibly generous.

“I cannot thank everyone enough.”

She added: “The whole experience has made me look at my life differently and realise what is important.

“I was hesitant at first to return to nursing, but now I feel stronger I feel more determined to get back on my feet and fit and well and hope to return to my course as soon as I can so that I can help others in the same position that I was in.”