Barry RFC 32-12 Penarth RFC

Tries: Hollister, Evans, White, O’Sullivan (2)

Cons: Morgan-Grant (2)

Pens: Morgan-Grant

Barry welcomed the visit of Penarth on a dry Saturday morning for the season’s first Vale of Glamorgan derby.

After scoring a bonus-point victory on the road, hopes were high for the hosts despite a number of players unavailable due to injury or other commitments.

A reshuffling of the back-line saw Harry Morgan-Grant continue at fly-half, where he finished the game last weekend, and the return of Tomos Perry in midfield with Dave Provis and Chris Lockyer promoted from the bench.

It was the unchanged pack which exerted early pressure to give Barry the first blood on the score sheet, as Morgan-Grant slotted over a penalty opportunity.

Despite the perfect conditions for free-flowing, running rugby, Barry were sensing an advantage in the tight and spent no time in utilising their power in the scrum and contact area.

After prolonged pressure on the Penarth line, it was down to James Hollister who was unstoppable from five yards, driving over for his first try of the season. Morgan-Grant added the extras.

Not to be outdone, his partner in the front row, Alyn Evans, began to exert his influence on the game, and he was rewarded with a try of his own, piercing the Penarth defence with his strong, direct running.

With the conversion kicked Barry were now 17 points ahead with less than a quarter of the game gone, and lesser sides could have folded. However, Penarth showed some inner steel as, slightly against the run of play, they capitalised on an opportunistic kick-and-chase to be rewarded with a try under the posts.

The conversion proved a formality and suddenly it was Barry who were under pressure just before the interval.

The pressure was released, however, when Brad White finished off a fine move in midfield to hand the impetus back to the home side.

The visitors tried to mount a second half comeback and their efforts were rewarded by an unconverted try, reducing the deficit to 10 points.

But the Barry defence held firm against the Penarth onslaught whilst continuing to find joy in the scrum. Indeed it was the hosts who had the last shout on the scoreboard.

The devastating pace of No. 8 Luke O’Sullivan proved too much in the latter stages of the game, and he bagged a brace before the close to make the game safe for Barry.

With neither conversions kicked, the final score was 32-12 to Barry, a fine victory over their Vale of Glamorgan rivals.

Next weekend the first XV travel to Aberdare, who are top of the table with 10 points after two games.

Team: Ryan; Provis, Perry, White; Lockyer; Morgan-Grant, Lee; Evans, Such, Hollister; Deyes, Devine; Miles, Hadfield (c), L O’Sullivan

Replacements: R O’Sullivan, Brooke, Oaten, Miller, Grant

Barry II 33-24 St Josephs II

Tries: Dwyer (2), Mitchell, Case, Robertson

Cons: Robertson (4)

Barry 2nd XV were hoping to build on last week’s away victory at Rhiwbina when St Josephs visited the Reservoir Field on Saturday.

Coaches Rhidian Scott and Glyn Pirso returned to take charge of the squad, and they handed a debut to Matt Williams at scrum-half to partner captain Joel Williams, and a reshuffling see Frank and Garth Peake revert to wing from wing forward.

The visitors were heavily depleted and were unable to field a full fifteen players, but they were much the brighter in the opening exchanges. Barry fell foul of some poor handling and the referee’s whistle, and St Josephs took full advantage to put the first points on the score board via a penalty opportunity.

Barry huffed and puffed but failed to make their numerical advantage truly count, missing numerous chances in attack and allowing the opponents off the hook.

The hosts did finally score when Ben Dwyer crashed over. Dylan Robertson was successful with the conversion.

The idea of the floodgates opening after that score was a novel one, and one that never materialised. Instead it was St Josephs who kicked another penalty to reduce the deficit to one.

Barry were still not utilising their numerical advantage but did get the next score, scrambling over via Chris Mitchell under the posts with Robertson adding the extras.

With half-time looming the coaching staff were hoping to be able to build-on that slender lead during the interval, but it was not to be. Instead, the visitors turned the game upside down within a few minutes.

First, they would reduce the lead further with another well-struck penalty. Then, when there was confusion in the Barry ranks as to whether the visiting side were kicking for the posts, St Josephs played on and ran through an unsuspecting Barry defence for a converted score.

Incredibly, at half time, despite a huge numerical advantage in terms of players on the field, Barry were behind on the score board 16-14.

The coaches voiced their discontent during the break and emptied the bench in an effort to overturn the deficit. Their outburst had initial success, when a clear overlap was finally taken advantage of, with Dwyer the beneficiary once more.

But with the conversion missed, the scores were soon level when the visitors kicked another penalty.

Barry continued to labour against an industrious opposition, and when St Josephs lost another player to injury the home side finally took full advantage.

Joel Williams spotted the overlap and his perfectly executed grubber kick was collected by Kyle Case to cross for his first try of the season. Robertson added the extras to give his side breathing space.

Minutes after it was Robertson the try scorer as he cut a good angle against a tired visiting defence to score under the posts. The conversion was added to finally put the game to bed.

It was, fittingly, however, for St Josephs to have the final say. With the last play of the game, they ran through a dazed Barry defence to score a deserved try in the corner, bringing the final score to 33-24.

Barry 2nd XV return to action as they visit Glamorgan Wanderers next weekend, where the coaches will hope an improvement in the performance.

Team: Robertson; F Peake, Busuttil, Montague, G Peake; J Williams (c), M Williams; Hall, Evans, Bowditch; Mitchell, M Jones; G Jones, Dwyer, Warry

Replacements: L Jones, Case, Raseru, Dutton