Penarth RFC 8

Barry RFC 32

BARRY RFC stretched their unbeaten run to six games as they eased past a committed Penarth side in last Saturday's local derby.

As in each of the previous two games Barry got off to a flying start and within six minutes had taken a 10 point lead through a penalty and conversion by Barros to add to a well worked try from O'Sullivan.

The restart saw Barry penalised to give the home team their first points of the afternoon, but it was Barry who came back onto the attack and after a neat chip had taken play to within five metres of the line they had opportunities from a scrum and a line out to increase the lead but on both occasions the ball didn't go hand and the chance was gone.

At the other end Penarth missed a penalty with the ball hitting the upright and the Barry clearance took the game back into home territory.

A charging run by Hollister gained even more ground but as the ball was spread Penarth turned the ball over to relieve the pressure and with a penalty also awarded in their favour they found themselves just short of the Barry line. Driving the line out the Penarth pack cleverly

confused the Barry defence and strolled over for an easy try which although unconverted put them right back in the game at 10 - 8.

Penarth had by this stage tightened both their defence and scrummage and with neither side gaining any ascendancy chances were few and far between with neither side able to get on top.

Overall Barry still looked the more likely to score but they were also guilty of handling errors which saw promising moves breaking down and opportunities gone. On half-time a huge Barry drive at the scrum took Penarth over their line but rather than award a try the referee saw fit to penalise them for an infringement.

Most of the first half chances had come Barry's way and with a little luck and more accuracy could and perhaps should have been more than just a couple of points in front at half-time.

Barry changed Oaten for Moyle as the second half kicked off, but it was Penarth who made the early running with their scrum now solid giving them a platform to attack these efforts being wasted still by handling errors.

A penalty for Barry for an early scrummage push took play some 50 metres downfield, the attack from the line out resulted in a further penalty and Barros made no mistake to give them a lead of five points.

Things were becoming a bit scrappy when out of the blue a break out of defence took play downfield where Miles carried the move on and found Scott on his shoulder to cross for a good try which again Barros converted and the score moved to 20 - 8 in Barry's favour.

Within minutes they had increased their lead as Penarth spilled the ball in midfield allowing the marauding Moyle to pick up and cross for the try and with Barros again adding the extras Barry had scored 14 points in a few minutes to give them a decisive lead.

Penarth were still fighting hard to get back into the game but never really challenged the Barry defence,and it their defence being called on as Barry moved the ball again and again.

The pressure finally told as Barry recycled the ball well creating space for White to cross wide out for the try which went unconverted but moved the score to 32 - 8 as the game neared its end.

Marc Devine came on for his first 1st XV game since suffering a major injury in the club's warm-up game in August, good to see him back, if just for a little while.

Credit to Penarth they kept trying and committed hugely to the game in which had passes stuck the scoreline could have looked completely different.

As it was the game drifted to a close with no further scores

With two games to go Barry are in fourth place in the league. The next game is on April 29, when they travel to their nearest challengers Aberdare with a coach leaving the club at 12.30pm.

The following Saturday the final game is at home against Gilfach Goch again with a 2.30pm kick-off.

The lottery numbers for last week were 4, 6, 10 and 17 which again could not be matched, this week's jackpot will be £4,430.