BARRY faced Ynysddu winning 26-16 with tries coming from Ryan, White (2) and Brown and conversions from Scott (3).

Barry finished their pre-season preparations with the visit of Ynysddu, who were welcomed by the fly-by display from the Red Arrows.

Perhaps wanting to repay their hosts’ hospitality, Ynysddu elected to play against the wind and slope in the first of three 30 minute periods. The home side swiftly benefited from the elements, utilising the boot of fly-half Einan Scott to camp themselves deep in the Ynysddu twenty-two.

The front row of O’Sullivan, Evans and Hollister were giving their opposite numbers a thorough examination – a test in which the visiting side did not pass for the entire match. With such superb platform, scrum-half Joe Gallivan was able to utilise the running prowess of wings Brad White and debutant Wayne Jones, who was causing havoc in the Ynysddu defence.

The visitors were unable to break out of defence, and half-way through the first period Barry finally capitalise on their territorial advantage, with Danny Ryan being put through to score in the corner; Scott adding the extras.

The scrum continued to be a potent weapon for the green-and-whites, and following a series of dominant set pieces and forward drives, Barry found themselves laying siege on the away line once more. After seemingly butchering several opportunities to score, it was down to White to dive over in the corner for a scrappy try. Scott failed with the conversion out wide.

Head coach Jon Bryant voiced his displeasure at the interval, but it was the visitors who had the only score in the second period, as Barry struggled to get out of their own half against the elements.

Normal service was resumed in the final period; however, as Barry found an extra gear when fresh replacements were brought on. There were good contributions from Glynn Jones, Ashley Adams, and Richie O’Sullivan, but it was down to replacement prop Ashley Brown who crashed over for Barry’s third try. Scott’s conversion was a formality.

Brad White then rounded off a fine individual performance with a superb solo try, running in from the half-way line after deceiving two Ynysddu would-be tacklers. Scott adding the extras to bring the score to 26-7.

The visitors rallied late on, aided by the sin-binning of Tom Lee, and scored two tries near the death to bring the final score to 26-19.

It was a game that was much needed for the home side to eliminate any game-rustiness ahead of next weekend’s opening league fixtures. The 1st XV will play Cowbridge, 2nd XV St Peters and 3rd XV Sully Sports. All games are at home and kicks off at 2.30pm.

Team: Ryan; White, Busuttil, T Scott, W Jones; E Scott, Gallivan; Rhys O’Sullivan, Evans, Hollister; Tanner ©, Oaten; C Scott, Poole, H Jones

Replacements: Vidal, Brown, Lundy, G Jones, Flynn, Lee, Richie O’Sullivan, Adams

Man-of-the-match: W Jones