TAKING some time to come to terms with the monsoon-type conditions, Barry Bombettes learned a lot from Sunday's cup defeat in West Wales and will come back stronger.

In conditions more suited to ‘ducks’ than rugby, Bombettes lost the toss and faced a first-half playing into a gale force wind.

Although the scoreline flatters the home side, they used the conditions better, with Bombettes putting in a great effort, but letting themselves down in the tackle and not having a Plan B.

Utilising the conditions better from the outset, Kidwelly kicked intelligently behind the visiting defence. Bombettes' full back O'Neill tried her best to run back at the home side but, within the first 10 minutes, her side conceded an unconverted try.

Barry's forwards started to get into their rhythm with ball in hand, but, unfortunately, weak tackling allowed Kidwelly a second try.

Appearing to wake up and producing some good link up play with forwards and backs, Bombettes won a penalty which was slotted home by Richards; the first cup points conceded by the hosts this season.

Taking advantage of a number of stationary defenders, Kidwelly increased their advantage to 17-3 with a converted try, but Bombettes produced the run of the game - bringing cheers from their subs and drenched supporters - when Hannah Potter blasted past weak tackling. Powering her way from her 10 metres line into the home 22, she was cynically stopped with a last-ditch high tackle. Although the referee awarded a penalty try, and Richards added the conversion to put Barry firmly back into the game, the official, curiously, failed to brandish a card.

Unfortunately, this was Barry's last sortie into the home half in the first period, with Kidwelly adding two further unconverted tries to stretch the half-time lead to 27-10.

Despite encouragement from coaches and substitutes, Bombettes were unable to grab what might have been a crucial score to get back in the contest, while Kidwelly, who scored just one further unconverted try, responded with up the jumper rugby and slowly but surely forced the visitors backwards. When Barry tried to counter, the odd knock on prevented any momentum. For Bombettes, injured Chris Coleman was replaced by Garner-Joel, while Kelly Binnie was also forced off, leading to a rejig of the back line. With no backs subs, Bombettes had the luxury of changing their whole front row, and replacements K Jones, Horne and Phillips brought renewed aggression and forward momentum.

Enjoying their best 10 minutes, Bombettes impressively forced Kidwelly back in the scrums and took a couple of strikes against the head. Unfortunately, there were also a few wrong options from the visitors and, with cold hands, they were frustrated and unable to score a deserved second try. Following another of her trademark runs, Potter was also held up - illegally as far as Bombettes were concerned.

Bombettes: O’Neill, Rees, Binnie, Fox-Mabey, K Jones (capt), Britton, Shanahan, Yapp, Young, Potter, Coleman, Helmore, Richards, Husk and Cahill. Super subs: Kath Jones, Phillips, Horne and Garner-Joel.

Barry woman of the match, Nikki Yapp; Kidwelly chose Kim Jones.

Special mention to Fox-Mabey for playing while 'under the weather' and speedy recoveries to Coleman and Binnie.

Bombettes' next fixture is at home to Penallta.