Memories from the Barry & District News of 50 and 25 years ago
7:00am Thursday 16th August 2012 in Looking Back
EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of August 16, 1962:
* Is Mr Billy Butlin really interested at last in setting up one of his holiday camps in Barry? The question is aroused by the news that the holiday camp king has made a personal visit to Barry when he drove round the town looking at a possible site, including, it is understood, Porthkerry Park, which was the subject of speculation some 18 months ago.
* Pretty 23-year-old Eira Roberts, of Port Road, Barry, who last week won the Miss Port Talbot beauty competition, added another win to her long list on Tuesday night when she gained second place in the Miss TWW beauty competition at Minehead. She was awarded a cheque for £50.
* Billy Williams, well known in his younger days as a fullback with the West End Football Club, has returned to Barry from Australia where he has spent the last seven years with his son in New South Wales. Mr Williams was a carpenter in the Docks Department of British Railways and retired about eight years ago.
EXTRACTS from the Barry & District News of August 13, 1987:
* Disappointment turned to delight. Recriminations turned to congratulations and everybody smiled when the takings from Barry Carnival’s charity collection were finally totalled. Far from being £200 down on the previous year, as originally reported by carnival publicity officer Don Walmsley, the collection in fact reached a record total of £1,250.60. And the first person to say "thank you" to the generous people of Barry was a slightly red faced, but obviously delighted, Mr Walmsley.
* Nerys Hughes, star of BBC TV’s "District Nurse" accepted a cheque from Hilary Boshier-Jones and Stephanie Salter, on behalf of the Dinas Powys group of voluntary fundraisers for Tenovus Cancer Research, to go towards more mobile screening units offering free health checks for women.
* Former Barry Carnival Queen Jayne Wood, has qualified for the televised final of this year’s Miss UK contest in London after winning the Miss Llanelli title last week. The 20-year-old brunette with a shapely 35-22-33 figure, clinched the title in the hometown of her mother, Pat.