Cadoxton Methodist Church celebrates 150 years of service
4:00pm Wednesday 31st October 2012 in News
ONCE upon a time Cadoxton was a small village community quite separate from Barry.
With the industrial revolution and the worldwide demand for Welsh coal the village grew providing homes for workers on the booming Barry Docks until if became part of the town. The Methodist community of Cadoxton decided that they needed their own neighbourhood church and in 1862 Cadoxton Methodist Church was opened and on Sunday (October 28) the church celebrates its 150th anniversary.
There has, in fact, been a Methodist community in Cadoxton for more than 150 years, the current church traces its roots from an earlier Methodist Chapel, which was built in 1815, but 'officially' this Sunday, October 28, the Church celebrates the 150th Anniversary of the current building, which opened in October 1862.
The church building, a familiar Cadoxton landmark, has changed over the years and congregations have grown, diminished and grown again, the Christian commitment to serve God and the community has never changed. Today's congregation embraces all ages from babies to people in their 90's and the worship style is one that seeks to be relevant across this broad spectrum and meet the needs of people in the 21st Century. In addition to the Sunday service at 9.45am there is a range of monthly and weekly events and activities for both young people and adults. More information about the church can be found on its website at www.cadoxton.org.uk.
The 150th anniversary celebrations include 'Say it With Flowers' on Saturday, October 27, when the chapel is open from 10am to 3pm to drop in and see the work of the church in 2012 displayed in flowers and other items. Refreshments will be available.
On Sunday, October 28, the anniversary services are at 9.45am and 6pm, all are welcome.