Barry Leisure Centre: Refurbishment plans revealed, with work set to start next month
8:30am Saturday 6th October 2012 in News
PLANS for the refurbishment of Barry Leisure Centre have been revealed – with work due to start next month.
Parkwood Community Leisure, which runs the leisure centres in the Vale in partnership with the Vale Council, will also be making improvements at Penarth and Llantwit Major centres, as part of a £1million project.
Work in all three centres is scheduled to start in early November.
Barry Leisure Centre will see improvements in the form of a larger fitness room, spin studio and dance studio, redecoration throughout, and significant changes to the reception area - to include a catering outlet and viewing area for swimming lessons in the learner pool.
Penarth will also get a new fitness suite and equipment, plus improvements to the changing rooms and reception area with a new café; while Llantwit Major will see the gym area extended and a new dance studio.
Cllr Gwyn John, Cabinet Member for Leisure at the Vale Council said: "We are very pleased to be working in partnership with Parkwood Leisure on such exciting projects that will dramatically improve the facilities available to all users.
“This investment from the Council brings the facilities to a standard that will ensure users can continue to enjoy their local leisure centre for years to come."
Barry Leisure Centre work:
1) New fitness suite - Expanded gym area with new work stations and free weights area
2) Spinning and Trixter - Creation of a new larger studio
3) Circulation areas - All aspects improved.
4) Reception and Cafe - Complete redecoration, new finishes throughout. Reconfiguration of entrance area and creation of a new cafe with viewing area to learner pool.
5) Conference room - Updated facilities
6) Changing area - Improvements to finishes, walls, floors and ceilings.