Barry set to get one million pounds regeneration funding
3:50pm Monday 14th April 2014 in News
BARRY is to get £1 million of Welsh Government-funded regeneration funding following its unsuccessful bid for a share of £15.1 million.
Welsh Government housing and regeneration minister, Carl Sargeant has announced a further £2 million to top the £5m already allocated to unsuccessful authorities bidding to help deprived areas in Wales.
The funding is part of the Welsh Government’s Vibrant and Viable Places Tackling Poverty scheme.
Seven local authorities will each receive £1 million – including Barry.
Carl Sargeant AM said: “The Welsh Government is committed to tackling poverty and making a real difference to the lives of people across Wales. Each of the seven local authorities will receive £1 million each and I want to see this used to contribute to the regeneration efforts in these areas with the aim of creating more jobs and training opportunities.”
Vale Council cabinet member for regeneration, innovation, planning and transportation, Cllr Lis Burnett said: “This is extremely good news and will allow the Council to continue the excellent progress that it has been making in Barry in recent years.
“The funding must be used in line with criteria specified by Welsh Government. However, ultimately the Council will decide how the money is spent and so this provides us with a great opportunity to fund one of a number of projects that we know will make a difference to the town.”
Director of development services, Rob Thomas said: “Last year the Council compiled a programme for future regeneration spending and it is likely that this money will contribute towards that programme. It is not possible at this stage to specify exactly the use of the money, as Welsh Government has requested a meeting at the end of this month to discuss projects and proposals.”