Island facelift continues despite bad weather
7:33pm Wednesday 19th February 2014 in News
THE storms that have battered Barry Island in recent weeks have not stopped the progress on the Eastern Promenade renovation.
Plans to bring new beach huts, toilet facilities, new viewing platforms and footpaths as well as a facelift for the eastern shelter are well under way and still on schedule.
Leader of the Vale council Neil Moore, Councillor Lis Burnett and the director of development services Rob Thomas visited the site last week to gauge progress, accompanied by David Harris, Managing Director of WRW Construction Ltd.
Cllr Neil Moore said: “This scheme demonstrates this council’s firm commitment to Barry and the Island as a visitor destination.
"This destination is unique in south Wales and this scheme will provide further attractions and facilities for visitors. We are developing a scheme that all traders, businesses, residents and visitors can be proud of and I look forward to visiting the site again in a few weeks’ time to see further progress.”
Councillor Lis Burnett said: “It was really positive to see the scheme taking shape and there were noticeable differences since my previous visit to the site.
"The progress on the beach huts is particularly exciting and you can now picture what a difference they will make to this part of the promenade. I am particularly pleased that decisions that we made during the feasibility and design stage of the project means that we are delivering a robust scheme which has already been tested during the recent stormy weather.”