Barry teenager electrocuted in tragic accident
11:31am Friday 6th December 2013 in News
A TEENAGE girl was electrocuted in a freak accident as she helped her father bring down the Christmas decorations from the attic of their Barry home.
Georgia Marshall, 13, was holding the metal step ladder steady when it was touched by a live wire from an extension cable,
Georgia was killed by the massive electric shock as her family decked out the house ready for Christmas.
Her devastated mum Glenda, 49, wrote on Facebook: "My beautiful light became a shining star today.
"Love you forever and will miss you till the day I die. My amazing Georgia. Words cannot say how I feel.
"This is so hard for us. I wont ever get over this, but all your thoughts and help are so much appreciated by all of us."
Georgia, a keen horse rider and dog lover, had been looking forward to decorating her home in Barry, South Wales, when the tragedy struck.
The Marshalls are known for having big family Christmasses and photographs of their tree from last year are on their Facebook page.
Georgia was one of seven children and excitedly helping her dad Richard, 54, get the Christmas decorations down from the attic when tragedy struck.
The excited teenager held onto the metal step ladder steady as he looked for their box of Christmas decorations.
But as she held the ladder an exposed live wire from an extension lead in the attic touched the ladder and electrocuted her.
Georgia's sister Amy Bennett, 29, said: "My mum can barely speak. My dad is blaming himself.
"My two youngest siblings don't want Christmas."
Georgia was especially looking forward to Christmas because she had become an aunt to a niece and had bought presents for the baby girl.
Police, who were called to the house on Saturday by her horrified family, said they are not treating the death as suspicious.
Neighbour Jean Mayor described Georgia as a "bubbly and cheerful" girl and her family as "incredibly close".
A family friend said parents Glenda and Richard were "too distressed" to comment.
Georgia was a pupil at Bryn Hafren Comprehensive, her classmates were told about the tragedy in special assemblies on Monday morning and have been offered counselling by the school.
A memorial service was held for Georgia on Thursday, November 5 and was attended by classmates and teachers from her school.
Phil Whitcombe, head teacher of Bryn Hafren Comprehensive, said: "Georgia was a lovely girl, she was one of our more gifted pupils and always hard working and polite.
"We will miss her very much and our thoughts and prayers are with her family."
A South Wales Police spokesman said: "Shortly after 11am on Saturday police officers were called to an address in Barry following reports of the death of a 13-year-old girl.
"The incident is not being treated as suspicious and HM Coroner has been informed.
"Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family at this tragic time for them."