FOLLOWING the court case Barry Town United fans expressed their joy that the club would be returning to the Welsh Football League.

The club, who played their final pre-season friendly against Llanelli last weekend and ran out 3-0 winners, will face their first competitive fixture against Treforest at Jenner Park in a Welsh Cup preliminary round on Saturday.

After winning four of their five pre-season fixtures the club can now look forward to competing in the Welsh Football League Division Three.

They have also announced that from this season they will be using the Tynewydd Inn as their clubhouse.

Speaking outside the Cardiff Civil Justice Centre, where the case was heard, manager Gavin Chesterfield said: "It's a sad day that we had to come to court. However, it was necessary.

"We are obviously delighted with the outcome with the court recommending that we be placed in Division Three for the upcoming season and that this decision will be confirmed by the FAW Council on Wednesday."

He added: "We say this is a significant victory for the people of Barry and all that have been following the club over many years.

"Lastly, we are thankful to the FAW for their conduct in the court and we look forward to participating in their leagues."

Ian Luxton, of Barry-based Robertsons Solicitors, acted on behalf of the club and said they were delighted with the result.

“Football in Barry has been taking place for the last 100 years, 99 of those at Jenner Park.

“As a result of the decision of the judge today, hopefully they will continue to play for another 100 years.”

He added: “Barry Town United are delighted with the outcome and great praise has got to be given to the supporters, without whom this wouldn’t have been possible.

“Despite the fact that the decision went against the FAW, they have acted fairly throughout and we will hopefully be in Division Three next season.

“We are now hoping to put this to bed and get back to playing football.”

Vale MP Alun Cairns, who has recently been appointed a Barry Town United Honorary Club President, welcomed the judgement:

“I’ve worked with the Supporters Committee over the last 18 months and am so pleased that they have won their case which sees the future of the club secured,” he said.

“I must pay tribute to their efforts and commitment. There are many who would have given up. The players and supporters have been treated poorly by the former owner and the Welsh FA Council and it is their commitment to Barry Town football that saw them through.”

Vale of Glamorgan council’s cabinet member for leisure and sport development councillor Gwyn John said he was “absolutely delighted” and “over the moon that justice was done”, but called for an investigation into how the FAW is run.

“I have called for a Welsh Government review of football in Wales,” he said.

He added that he had written to the Assembly Member Jane Hutt urging for this to happen.

Vale AM Jane Hutt welcomed the judgment as “brilliant news”.

“Congratulations to the supporters for their fantastic campaign which has saved Barry Town Football Club and put them back at the forefront of Welsh football,” she said.

Plaid Cymru councillor Ian Johnson, who was a former match day magazine editor for Barry Town, said:

"It’s great news that the club won their case against the FAW and will be playing in Welsh League Division Three next season.

"The court case was very tense and it could have gone in either direction. Listening to the judge’s summary, it really was a game of two halves”.